The original Tutwiler Hall on the University of Alabama campus photographed in the mid-1940s. Built in 1914, the womens's dormotory was named for Julia Tutwiler, daughter of the first professor of ancient languages Henry Tutwiler. In 1892, the younger Tutwiler persuaded the 11th president of the university, Richard Channing Jones, to allow women as students which was permitted the following year.
Doster Hall is to the right and the west stands of Denny Stadium are visible behind it. At the time, the capacity of the football venue stood at 31,000. Today, the Rose Administration building is located at the site of the original Tutwiler Hall and a new residence facilty bearing the name was built in 1968.